Just because a mattress comes from a top brand and reasonable, it does not mean the mattress will offer you everything you need. There are far more things that you need to consider while purchasing a mattress today. In the beginning, when the mattresses were first introduced on the market, these two factors might have helped, but today there are different types of the mattress based on material, feature, and size. If you start shopping for a mattress without actually knowing the key factors to consider, then, let us remind you, you will be confused than ever. We guarantee that you will come back running to find out how to select a mattress and the major difference between them.
Difference Between Twin and Twin XL Mattress
Twin and Twin XL are two common mattresses that are known to confuse customers, while most people assume them to be the same, it is not the same. There are some key differences that they neglect but end up regretting after the purchase. Here is everything you need about the difference between a twin and twin XL mattresses. The notable and the major difference between a twin and twin XL mattress, as the name itself suggests, is the dimension. Yes, twin and twin XL mattresses differ in dimension. While dimension is the only notable difference between the two, this difference affects other features offered by the mattress. Here is everything you need to know about the differences between the two mattresses.
Dimension – As already mentioned, the notable difference between a twin and twin XL mattress is the difference in the dimension itself.
Twin Mattress – A regular twin mattress could be 38 to 39 inches wide and would have a maximum length of 75-inches.
Twin XL Mattress – A twin XL mattress could be 38 to 39 inches wide and would have a maximum length of 80-inches.
A Regular Twin Mattress Is Best For :
- Most commonly, a regular twin mattress is best for single adults. Since the mattress is one of the smallest available it comes with a narrow dimension. This is one of the main reasons why it is recommended for solo sleepers only. Even if you try to share the bed with a partner, we bet you will not succeed. This mattress would not offer a good sleep or rest for a pair.
- Children and teenagers – A regular twin mattress is one of the best-recommended mattresses for kid’s room. As mentioned, it is one of the smallest mattresses available on the market. Since the kid’s room is small, using a regular twin mattress would help conserve floor space.
- User with a height equal or lesser than 6 feet and 2-inches – Yes, as you have read above, a regular twin mattress is only 75-inches long, this makes it best for any user with a height less than or equal to 6 feet and 2-inches.
- College dorm room – The key rule that a college dorm room user would learn in the first few weeks of stay is that it is important to save floor space and use it for something else. Compared to the size standard mattresses sizes available on the market today, regular twins conserves the floor space the most.
A Twin XL Mattress is Best For :
- A twin XL mattress is best for any single adult who has a height of more than 75-inches and lesser than 80-inches. Since twin and twin XL mattresses have the same width, it is only best for a single adult.
- Teenagers – While a regular twin mattress is best for kids mattress and teenagers, we recommend a twin XL mattress only for teenagers. There is a reason for such a recommendation. Most commonly, teenagers are taller and they would be comfortable on an 80-inch long mattress than on a 75-inch long mattress.
- Anyone with a height equal to or less than 6 feet and 7inches – As you know, the major difference between a regular twin and twin XL mattress is the length. There is a reason why twin XL mattress has a 5-inch extra length as most teenagers and single adults find it useful.
- College dorm room – Since the twin and twin XL mattress has the same width, it conserves floor space and at the same time, if the user is taller, the 80-inch height would help accommodate them.
- Pets – If you are a person who loves sleeping with your pet, then the extra length could come handy. Your pet could sleep on this extra length.
Check Also – Top 10 Best Twin Xl Comforter Of 2020
The Surface Area Of The Mattress And Floor Space Occupied :
While there is only a difference in the length between the two mattresses, it does not end there. As the length changes, the mattress’s overall surface area changes, at the same time, the floor area also occupied changes. While a regular twin mattress offers 2850 to 2925 inch2 surface area, a twin XL mattress offers a surface area between 3040 to 3120 inch2.
Pricing of Twin and Twin XL Mattress:
Since these two mattresses are two of the smallest available mattresses on the market today, the price of these two is also comparatively very low. However, in general, the price could be anything between 300 to 1200 dollars. When it comes to twin XL mattresses, it is comparatively expensive than a twin mattress. The increase in length accounts for such a price difference.
When it comes to the comfort offered by regular twin and twin XL mattress, most customers and our expert team found both of them to offer the same. However, if the user is taller than 6 feet and 2 inches, a twin XL mattress would be the best comfortable. On the other hand, a user with a height lesser than this would be comfortable on a regular twin mattress. Now, you are familiar with the key difference between the two mattresses. Even if you find the listed differences negligible, these facts should not be neglected if you are a person who aims at perfection.
Sumi Memon is the author of the content that you will find on this website. I have worked in the mattress manufacturing industry for many years, and I was leading the research and development wing of one of the most popular mattress brand in the market. I decided to use my knowledge to help the people in choosing the right mattress for themselves. This is the time when the idea struck me to start a fair and transparent blog that will educate people about their unstated needs.
After working for many years in the industry, I realized that a lot of people are not aware of the type of mattress that they should be using. With my experience, I compile the lists, reviews, and buying guides on this website, and I am sure that you can use my knowledge for your benefit. You can go ahead and explore the various sections of my website, and I promise you an experience that will enhance your lifestyle and health.