A mattress is one of the most important things in a person’s life, most people might be surprised to hear such a comment, however, believe it or not. You will not find it easy to sleep a bed without a mattress and a majority of people do not even realize the fact that they cannot sleep without a mattress. This is one of the main reasons why people prefer moving the mattress first if they are moving to a new room or apartment
How To Compress Memory Foam Mattress
It is not an easy task to move the mattress from one place to another, to be precise it requires a lot of expertise and accessories. As mentioned, if the accessories are not used in the right way, it could be a mess and would kill your mattress within a few days of compression. Now, let’s not waste time, here is everything you need to know about how to compress the memory foam mattress.
What All You Need To Know Before Compressing Memory Foam Mattress
- If the mattress is more than 5-years old, then, you should be extra careful. Only top quality products could survive for more than 5-years without losing its features.
- If you find any cracks or tear on your mattress then avoids compressing such mattresses.
- If the quality of your foam mattress is not good, then compressing the mattress would destroy its shape and cushion.
- If your mattress has already lost its cushioning, then do not try to compress it further or cold it, it could tear the mattress into pieces.
- The accessories required for compressing the mattress and storing it should be bought up hand.
- The storage box that you are using should be made of good quality cardboard to avoid it from termites.
Accessories To Compress Memory Foam Mattress
Here are some accessories you need before planning to compress your memory foam mattress like Plastic Mattress Bag, Duct Tape, Storage Box, Ratchet Straps, Small Vacuum Bag, and most important a vacuum cleaner without it, it is not possible to compress a memory foam mattress.
Mattress Moving Bag
A mattress moving bag is one of the most important things that you need if you are planning to compress and store the mattress. Remember, a foam mattress is most vulnerable when it is compressed and stored. This is why it is very important that you go for the highest quality plastic bags with unique features. Remember, the bag should be airtight and sealable.
One of the things about compression is that the force could wear or tear almost anything like plastic or fibre, this is why duct tapes very important. Even if you are using high-quality plastic mattress bags, sealing and winding the bag with duct tape is recommended. We recommend duct tape because it is heavy-duty and efficient at the same time.
Moving the mattress is an easy process to most people, however, if the mattress is not stored carefully in a box, it could tear. Therefore, it is very important that you purchase a storage box and use it.
Even if you wind and seal the plastic mattress bags with duct tapes, the compression could tear the duct tape and the mattress bag at the same time. This is why it is very important that you use a ratchet strap to help keep the mattress compressed.
Small Vacuum Bag
Apart from all the above-mentioned accessories, the most important thing required to compress the memory foam mattress. If you assume that you could compress the memory foam mattress without using a vacuum bag, then you are sorely mistaken. Remember the vacuum seal bag should come with a valve that could fit with any vacuum cleaner mouths.
You cannot compress a memory foam mattress without a vacuum cleaner, however, most of the household have a vacuum cleaner but remember you need a regular vacuum cleaner and not a portable or battery-powered vacuum cleaner. Only the regular vacuum cleaner is powerful to compress a foam mattress.
8 Ways To Compress Memory Foam Mattress
Now, you have an idea of all the things required to compress the mattress. Here is how to use the accessories with maximum efficiency.
- Step 1: Remove the bedspread/bed sheet, blanket’s, and pillows from the mattress.
- Step 2: Now, the mattress should be slipped into the vacuum bag carefully. Remember, if the foam mattress is larger than single size, then an extra person could help. Remember start from one side of the mattress and do not fold or rush to do it.
- Step 3: Once you have bagged the mattress, seal the sides of the bag to make it maximum airtight. After sealing the bag, put the setup into the mattress bag. Then cut the hole in the mattress bag to facilitate access to the vacuum valve. Connect it to the vacuum cleaner.
- Step 4: Switch on the vacuum cleaner and then wait till the foam mattress is completely compressed.
- Step 5: While compressing the mattress, you should be sure that the mattress is lying flat on any surface. It is best recommended that you lay the mattress on the floor. For better and fast compression, you could consider walking on the mattress while using the vacuum cleaner.
- Step 6: Once the vacuuming starts, and on its halfway, you should start rolling the mattress slowly. Remember, do not rush or overdo it could destroy the mattress.
- Step 7: After you completely rolled the mattress, use the duct tape to seal the vacuum valve and the hole in the mattress. Now, you should use the ratchet straps to hold the mattress rolled up. Remember, do not tighten the ratchet strap too much as it could kill the mattress cushioning.
- Step 8: After the foam mattress is completely rolled, you will have to put the foam mattress into the storage box.
Bottom line :
If you want to use your memory foam mattress after compressing and storing it, it is very important that you follow all the instructions as mentioned above. Remember, the mattress survives only if the accessories are made of high-quality material.
Sumi Memon is the author of the content that you will find on this website. I have worked in the mattress manufacturing industry for many years, and I was leading the research and development wing of one of the most popular mattress brand in the market. I decided to use my knowledge to help the people in choosing the right mattress for themselves. This is the time when the idea struck me to start a fair and transparent blog that will educate people about their unstated needs.
After working for many years in the industry, I realized that a lot of people are not aware of the type of mattress that they should be using. With my experience, I compile the lists, reviews, and buying guides on this website, and I am sure that you can use my knowledge for your benefit. You can go ahead and explore the various sections of my website, and I promise you an experience that will enhance your lifestyle and health.